Top 5 Reasons People Like Group Dances at Weddings & Parties
We have all been to a dance where the DJ played one of "those" songs. The kind of song that people either run to the dance floor, or run for the bathroom. The songs that seem to pop up at every dance, prom, wedding, event since the beginning of time. I think neanderthal's probably had something similar that was either exciting or grating that they all liked to do together.
I am talking about group dance songs! You know, the Chicken Dance, YMCA, Cha Cha Slide, Electric Slide, Hokey Pokey, Cupid Shuffle, the Twist, Limbo, the list goes on and on. The kind of songs that look silly if you are the only one doing it, though I have been to plenty of dances where there was only one person who came out and started, and then another, and then 5 more and by the end of the song the floor is packed with rowdy, fun-loving people who are wiggling like a chicken or throwing their hands in the air and practicing their alphabet for a test that is never going to happen.
People say they are overrated and overplayed, but then why is that so? These songs are really the backbone of a good party and event and have been for hundreds of years. Why do they work?
Here are the top 5 reasons people like group dances at weddings & parties!
- Everyone knows them! They may not be your favorite songs, but when you hardly know anyone else at a dance, or wedding, you can meet on the dance floor and have fun, shuffle, rock, wiggle, twist, or shout with everyone else who wants to do the same.
- The moves are usually simple! It is easy to do the Cha Cha Slide when the artist is walking you through all the dance moves. The twist is easy, YMCA is NOT hard to spell, the Locomotion is following everyone else, and a 3 year old can Bunny Hop!
- We feel like a part of something! Dancing with a big group, even complete strangers, helps us blend in with the crowd if we are shy, or don't know how to dance, or the exact opposite, it can feel like we are starting a revolution! We all want to be a part of a bigger party!
- It doesn't matter if you are younger or older! All ages are welcome from 2 to 92. Even your uncle Frank.
- THEY ARE FUN! Over the past 25+ years of doing all types of dances, parties and events, more people tell me that the most fun they have at a function during the group dance songs because they are just fun songs to let loose with and let your hair down and celebrate whatever you are celebrating!
So the next time one of "those" songs comes on at a wedding or dance, don't run for the bathroom. Run for the dance floor and join in, because you may have more fun than you ever thought possible at your 3rd cousin's wedding.
To recieve all blog post, news and updates, subscribe to our RSS feed @ Gold Medal Sound! For more information or to book us for your next wedding, dance, prom, party or event then send us and email, or contact us by phone directly at 920.209.7890